Old May 22nd 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Scott W

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

On May 21, 6:37 pm, Wayne wrote:
Plenty of inexpensive P&S cameras with manual overrides and zooms
are available that take great pictures. If you are a average/casual
user it doesn't make sense to spend the extra money to purchase a
DSLR today only to become the not so latest and greatest tomorrow.
That is unless you want to impress your neighbors.

I don't believe this is true at all.

It may not be true for all, but it is obviously true for most.

We don't choose between a low end and a high end camera for any of the
reasons that have been stated.

It is certainly not because the low end "picture lacks sharpness and
contrast, has poor color, and is generally disappointing." Obviously
false, the $200 point&shoots are pretty amazing. Perhaps not so
versatile in A mode, but capable. If all we will ever use is the Auto A
mode, then it is versatile enough for us.

It is not because of life expectency before it wears out. Shouldnt be a
problem, especially not for a less serious photographer using it less.

It is not because it may become obsolete, any will, but it still should do
everything in ten years that it does now. We all know people still quite
happy with 1 or 2 megapixels because they never print anything. 3 or 4
megapixels will print 4x6 inches, and 6 or 8 megapixels will print 8x10
inches. Few of us have any use for more megapixels. But if you need more,
you should buy more.

The reason to choose higher price is to get more features and options,
presumably because we expect to use them. It is of course wasted if you
wont use them, at least now and then. Interchangeable lens is the biggest
option, which requires a DSLR. Many see this as essential, but most
others dont even know what it is. Most have no concept of photography
except "this button turns it on, and this button is the shutter". And it
works for them. But if you want and need features, then you buy
features.

Even in DSLR, there is low end and high end. Differences are still about
features. What will the camera do? More experienced photographers will
use more of those options, and less experienced photographers will not.
The camera features will not do it for you. Those people that instead
always leave it in A Auto mode dont need much in features.

I have to take issue with this, the advantage of a higher end DSLR is
not mainly about features but performance, works in lower light,
faster auto-focus, faster shot to shot time, better looking photos
etc. In fact it seems to be the small point and shoot cameras that
are loaded with features.

If all someone wants is a small point and shoot that is fine, but if
someone is thinking about a DSLR they should be aware that there is
much more to a DSLR then just more features.

Scott