Old March 23rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 30D versus the Nikon D200

Rich wrote:
Well, I've seen the shots from these two cameras and handled
them both. For noise, the Canon wins, having less noise but the
noise is more chromatic. The Nikon has more noise (this was a 1600
ISO) it is "monochromatic" and really gets bad with under exposure.
Shots underexposing human flesh should be avoided at all costs.
A noise program is going to have more trouble dealing with the Nikon
noise and will likely destroy more fine detail when removing it than
when removing noise from the Canon. The so-called "granular" or
film-like grainy noise is not desirable, owing to the difficulty of
removing it from images. The colourful blotchy noise is easy to deal
with. The noise differences between the cameras at correct exposure
are not radically different but the differences are there.

As for the cameras themselves, the D200 wins.

So we get the highly detailed 'explanation' when Canon has a better
picture, but then you say, "the D200 wins" and that's it?? In what way
did the D200 "win"?

Come on Rich, can't you just let it go man!! I am amazed you even
touched a Canon (If you truly did) so that is progress. However,
please stop the insistent whining about how great Nikon is and how
Canon sucks when we all know you're just the poster boy for Nikon and
you can't really make any other argument.

I mean a couple of days ago you start a thread about spending $300 more
to get the D200 vs. the D30. Now it's the D200 wins? Talk about an
unbiased opinion....NOT!