Old December 1st 04, 05:34 PM
Lee Chen

Matt Ion wrote in message news:8BRqd.379050$nl.343751@pd7tw3no...
Lee, Check out JVC's new Evrio line of "digital media" cameras. It's
essentially a CF-based camcorder that ships with a 4GB microdrive. JVC
claims up to 90 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video (300 minutes max) or
up to 10,000 2MP (1600x1200) stills on a 4GB card.

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

Interesting. The extra resolution that the Evrio adds certainly would
be nice, but it's not worth $1000 to me. If it were $600/700 I'd
consider it, since it includes a 4 gb microdrive. But it's basically
a more expensive (with more features) version of the Sanyo Fisher
FVD-C1.

Speaking of the Sanyo Fisher, I really think the Sanyo Fisher is
overpriced. The only real difference between it and the Pentax 43wr
is that it compresses the video - and justifies the $300 price
difference? The Pentax even takes higher resolution photos. If the
Pentax just added mpeg-2 compression, that'd pretty much be all I
need.

I know the new Sony DSC-M1 has mpeg-4, but at $500 + $300 for a 1 gb
memory stick pro duo card, that's simply too much.

Yesterday I bought the Pentax 43WR and a 1 gb SD card. $375 total.
Taking video clips of 1 gb in size works just fine. That's about 15
min of footage at 640x480 30 fps. The one slightly annoying thing is
that the usb transfer is quite slow - takes around 30 min to transfer
1 gb. Too bad the 2 gb sd card isn't available anywhere yet.

Also, others have complained about the sound, and I agree it's not
great. It's very good at picking up mechanical noises from the
slightest touch on the camera.

Lee