Old August 12th 14, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Lightroom vs. Apertu Curves

On 2014-08-12 11:47:45 +0000, Sandman said:

Sandman:
But, alas, no extended range here (or with the poorer version
of curves) so no way - as far as I can make out - to actually
access all that glorious image data from within Lightroom.

Anyone knows if I've missed something?

Eric Stevens:
Before I comment, I would like to try another approach. Can you
post a copy of the original in an editable form?

Sandman:
Certainly.

http://sandman.net/files/DSC01476.ARW

After looking at that RAW file I can see the problem came from a
need for a -4 Grad ND filter. Shooting wide open at f/1.8 & ISO 100
didn’t help. It looks as if you metered on the tree or roof in the
center, and that led to those exposure settings and the blown
highlights. If anything this might have been a case for HDR, or at
least some exposure bracketing to play with. There is no getting
away from the serious clipping. You were correct there was data
further to the right in the histogram, but it was useless as the
clipping had mostly blanketed it.

The topic is not this image and what is truly clipped from it or not. The
topic is accessing image data that is outside the 8 bit spectrum of the
Lightroom histogram, which can be done in Aperture.

This was not a thread about how I save this one image, the image is
irrelevant to the topic and was just an example. You're focusing on the
wrong thing.

There is data in that image not represented by the Lightroom histogram. Or
the Aperture histogram. There is a method in Aperture to *access* that data
by shrinking the 11 bit actual histogram to fit a 8 bit histogram.

As far as I can make out, there is no way to do this in Lightroom. Correct?

--
Sandman[.net]