Old August 12th 14, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Lightroom vs. Apertu Curves

On 2014-08-12 11:47:45 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

But, alas, no extended range here (or with the poorer version of
curves) so no way - as far as I can make out - to actually access
all that glorious image data from within Lightroom.

Anyone knows if I've missed something?

Before I comment, I would like to try another approach. Can you post
a copy of the original in an editable form?

Certainly.

http://sandman.net/files/DSC01476.ARW

After looking at that RAW file I can see the problem came from a need
for a -4 Grad ND filter. Shooting wide open at f/1.8 & ISO 100 didn’t
help. It looks as if you metered on the tree or roof in the center, and
that led to those exposure settings and the blown highlights. If
anything this might have been a case for HDR, or at least some exposure
bracketing to play with. There is no getting away from the serious
clipping.
You were correct there was data further to the right in the histogram,
but it was useless as the clipping had mostly blanketed it.

I tried a rendition and came up with this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/DSC01476-Edit-1.jpg

Savageduck