Old December 18th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky

James McNangle wrote:

Perhaps the clue to the problem with your web site is contained in the line "The
online magazine and reference site for photography, graphic design, digital art,
Web design, video, illustration and image creation." Any one of these subjects
would be quite sufficient for a single web site, but you have them all together,
all mixed up in a horrendous jumble. And, even worse, this horrendous jumble is
reproduced on every page. About the only thing I can say in favour of the site
is that it doesn't sing or dance.

Consider the page http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=799.

This is titled "A day of shooting with my Infrared converted Canon 350D". By
the time someone gets to this page all they want to see is what results you have
managed to get. But what do they get?

On the left, a column 160 pixels wide, containing a plague of totally irrelevant
links. On the right, another column 160 pixels wide, containing another plague
of equally irrelevant links. In the middle a couple of ads, then an
introduction, and yet another column 160 pixels wide, containing yet another
plague of irrelevant links. Below this we finally get to the demonstration
photos, all 450 pixels wide.

If you threw out all this rubbish, or sorted it into categories, with the
material relevant to each category on a separate page, so that this page only
displayed the actual test photos and your comments on them, you could make the
pictures much bigger, so that the viewer could really see what you are on about,
without being distracted by a whole heap of totally irrelevant crap.

James McNangle

Ok, I get your point, though i can't help thinking you really don't need
to be so rude about it.

I am considering a redesign of the site and I'll take this onboard.

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall