Old August 31st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

Default exposure for flash photos?

"Wm Watt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Yashica FX-7 SLR film camera. It is manual except for a built
in exposure indicator. I can adjust the shutter speed and aperature to
get good exposure outdoors but now I'd like to try a flash attachment
and do not know what shutter speed and aprature setting to use. The
built in exposure meter does not work with the flash. I've been
playing around with it with no film in the camera. There is a chart on
the back of the flash attachement but I doubt I can use it for fill in
light indoors by a window? I've looked in photography books at the
public library but they don't say what setting to use. Any advice or
links to advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dear Wm: Another thing you might try is to go down to your local paper or
office supply store, and purchase a white foam board. (I got mine at
wal-mart). If the light is strong enough for the reflector, it will lighten
up the shadows. If you want, try some aluminum foil or a sheet of aluminum
to reflect light back. If it is too much, crinkle it up (the foil not the
sheet) and try it that way. Have fun. Ric in Wisconsin.