Old February 2nd 05, 10:37 PM
Dutch Flyer

"Scharf-DCA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill Tuthill wrote:

Am I missing something? Is there a compact digicam that produces

even
remotely acceptable results at ISO 800-1600? I'm tired of blurry

pictures
from camera shake and subject movement.

I think that eventually Canon will put its low noise CMOS sensors into
a non-SLR. They may be capacity constrained on the CMOS sensors due to
the popularity of the 300D, 10D, and 20D. It'd be cool to have a
G6-like camera with a low noise CMOS sensor, rather than a CCD.

Canon's 1.6x crop factor DSRL sensors would require
a huge lens in order to cover te usual P&S ~28-150mm range.
This would automatically eliminate any advantage (ie. portability)
that such cameras may have over DSLR.
Without going into the details, a bigger sensor will require a (much) bigger
lens,
this is the reason why noone has and never will put a DSLR sized sensor
in a P&S. Otherwise, Sony who produces DSLR sensors would have
done it a long time ago since they don't have a DSLR line anyway.