Old August 25th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default New sensor with unlimited dynamic range

In article , RichA wrote:

Alfred Molon:
http://web.media.mit.edu/~hangzhao/modulo.html When a pixel
fills up, it is automatically emptied. The camera counts the
number of times a pixel is emptied. Pixels in the darker image
areas probably never completely fill up.

Sandman:
Pretty smart, but the example images didn't really sell the
concept enough. With "unlimited" dynamic range, you'd think
nothing in the image could possibly be overexposed, but some of
the example images, while a lot better than the normal photos,
still looked like they were blown in areas. Since this "unlimited"
dynamic range only works for highlights, you also need to expose
for the darkest part of the scene. Or, if this technology would
find itself into normal Nikons and Canons, they would
automatically expose for the darkest part of the scene, while
everything else would be blown and then in-camera recovered. Not
sure what the coloring is used for in the example images? I am
assuming we're looking at raw images with a really high bit rate,
and for some reason they are showing those higher values with
funky colors for some reason. Makes me wonder what kind of
post-processing is needed for each photo. The logical thing to do
is to use a high bit depth for the image, like 16 or 32 bit, but
keep "normal" exposure data in the first 14 bits for example. So
instead of 0-2744 in 14bit be the same range as 0-4096 in 16 bit,
the first 0-2744 in 16 bit corresponds to 1 bit data, while the
rest is used for the otherwise overexposed data, which of course
requires some fancy post-processing to even the range out to a
normal image. Or you use a 16 bit readout from the sensor (as per
above), then in-camera re- arrange that to a 14 bit range,
producing a balanced image. -- Sandman

This is all fine, so when they will apply similar progress to
display technology?

That's... not the same thing at all.

--
Sandman