Old March 19th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Default How to get the wife to agree to a 2K printer?

MarkČ mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
Ray Fischer wrote:
DeanB wrote:

Ok, I want an Epson 4800, its $1815 plus shipping. Its 100lb, and 3
feet wide. Totally ridiculous.

Yep.

How on earth can I possibly get the wife to let me have it?

That's between you and her.

I already
told her I want real solid paper prints of the kids, that will last a
lifetime and longer, not like our current crappy fading prints, and
not all stored on DVDs and hard drives that are easily lost.

What else can help swing this?

What's the real reason you want the printer? I've seen the stories
about control, and being able to print big, and I know as well as you
that it's all crap. There are photo labs that you could use that will
do a _better_ job of printing and provide _better_ control than you
and your printer and will save you money.

That's just not true, Ray (about control). If you know what you're doing,
you can get the results you want.

Shall we discuss the added cost of a quality colorimiter for the
monitor? And the cost of color-managed software? There's another
$1000. Of course, if the printer is just a toy then you don't need
all of that. You can just do trial and error and spend your money on
inks and your time screwing around.

If you don't...then by all means, take it
to a lab... But unless the lab tech can get inside your brain, he can't
make your choices...only his.

All you need is a color-calibrated monitor and decent software. What
you see on the screen will be produced by the lab. You don't need
your own printer to accomplish that, and the lab will do a better job
of color-calibrating their equipment.

--
Ray Fischer