Old September 6th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
acl

Default FA: Canon EOS 5D

On Sep 6, 3:41 am, frederick wrote:
Lugging an accessory flash around for occasional use for
catch light or fill flash is a PITA.
Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to
put such an "amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's
a cop-out for Canon and Nikon not to include a pop-up flash
in their pro cameras.

That may be true, but I personally would prefer it if my D200 had no
flash. I've used it only to check that it works (I don't like flash,
and don't know how to use fill-in flash effectively anyway-I don't
want to learn either, I'm afraid). I cycle at least 10-15km every day
with the camera hanging from its strap on my side, and it's happened
that I popped it up by mistake without realising it. It also happened
once while putting it in a bag. If that happens and I manage to break
it, the camera will have to be sent for repairs! So I'd rather it
didn't have it (or at least had some way of locking it down)... I
mean, the camera is an absolute tank, but it can become almost useless
just by shearing off a little plastic popup flash, supported by two
plastic legs... Stupid.

It has crossed my mind to just glue the thing closed...