Old October 22nd 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Why Nikon should upgrade the D300

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:15:47 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: : Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose
: size
: : and
: : weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
: :
: : compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more
: long
: : lens, converter or not converter
: :
: : You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel
: like
: : having a dx camera
: :
: : Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
: :
: :
: : Creating a Crop Tool preset at a specific aspect ratio and resolution
: : setting is simpler, and more useful. Particularly when it comes to
: : isolating a specific potion of the image, rather than a generalized
: 1.6
: : crop with little control other than the resize.
: :
: :
: : Yes, I was being faceteous. I'd never want an automatic crop anyway, and
: : those who don't know how to crop, sure wouldn't know how to create an
: : action in PS :-)
:
: I don't know how Photoshop handles cropping, because I've never used it.
: But of those photo editors I have used, some make cropping easy and
: convenient while others make it surprisingly cumbersome. YMMV.
:
:
: It's one of the easiest things you can do in PS, but then I've never found
: any photo software where it's all that difficult.

You want to be able to create a frame with a preset aspect ratio and then use
the mouse to change its size and position. The photo editor I use (DPP) lets
you do that very conveniently; and so, probably, does Photoshop. But some
editors I've tried to use don't.

Bob