Old September 2nd 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

Default Lens Caps

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Paul J Gans :
David J. Littleboy wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The later Nikon lens caps can be removed either with the pinch
on the OD, or with a pinch in a pair of recesses in the front, which
makes it easier to reach and remove when in a lens hood.

Many Canon users replace their lens caps with Tamron ones, which do just
that.

O heck. I just try to rememer to take the lens cap off
*before* I put the lens hood on.

I keep the lens cap on a short tether, and when carrying the
lens, the cap is in place while I'm not expecting to just now take a
photo, and when the lens is in the camera bag, I usually have the lens
hood reversed, and the lens cap in place. (This is for Nikon lenses
with bayonet mount lens hoods -- no experience with Canons.)

When it is time to take a photo (or close to it), I remove the
lens cap and allow it to dangle on its tether.

And the lens cap *within* the lens hood has protected the front
surface of the lens (or the filter, depending) from a bathing in dog
drool from an exceptionally affectionate large dog. :-)

The camera us usually hanging from my shoulder when I am
outside, even though my hands may be busy doing something else, so the
camera is not normally ready for instant shooting -- but can be made so
rather quickly. The deeper lens hoods have the center-pinch lens caps,
so no problems there.

I do something similar. When I'm just carrying the camera I
have the hood on reversed and the lens cap on. My routine is
that I first remove the lens cap and put it in my shirt (or
jacket) pocket (no tether) and then put the hood on right.

My "problem" is grandchildren. For added protection I sometimes
leave the lens cap on and also put the hood on as if taking a
shot. This tends to protect against both bangs and splatters.

One of the arts of photography is preserving your equipment... ;-)

--
--- Paul J. Gans