Old January 17th 18, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Olympus Leads the Japanese MILC Run

On Jan 17, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...ntinues-to-dom
in
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

Activities
Research and report on IT market
Managing IT industrial news website "BCN Bizline"
Company marketing and related material development

So it's an IT oriented newservice... OKI?

Aah, IT oriented news service, folks who don’t do much photography.

An old calculator can sum up sales figures. FujiFilm ain't even on the
map back in their homeland apperantly...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Solar-calculator.jpg

Who cares about sales figures?

I do, along with lots of other people - for example, Pentax users.
It's already become a problem, with fewer and fewer 3d party lens
makers, for instance. And it's not just the 3d parties, if Pentax
itself folds, there is no more support for anything, and no future at
all.

I agree. The financial health of any consumer oriented business is dependant
on sales. Photographers, pro, enthusiasts, and snap-shooters are the target
consumer groups being carved up by the various camera maufacturers. However,
there are other factors at play with the various production philosophies, and
the cameras on offer to us, the folks feeding those corporations. In the case
of Pentax, there is only Pentax to blame for their current precarious
position.
....and the inroads into the photography consumer pie that cameras in smart
phones have made cannot be denied.

I have nothing against Pentax, as a teenager my first SLR was a Pentax. The
only 35mm cameras I own today are a K1000, and a 49 year old Yashica
Electro35. When I made the move to the digital world I was drawn to what
Nikon had to offer, because Yashica had died, and Pentax had nothing to offer
which matched Nikon, or Canon at that time. Currently it is Fujifilm which
meets my photography needs, both from an economic, and a cost perspective. I
might well have moved to Olympus, but Fujifilm with the quality glass
available, and their Kaizen philosophy adding value, and function with
firmware updates/upgrades has gained my following. Pentax might have regained
my following if they had offered a product to push me back into their fold.
As to what the future holds for them, and their slice of the pie without some
sort of paradigm shift on their part, I could not say. For me, Fujifilm made
that paradigm shift 6 years ago and ran with it, gaining me three years ago.
Nikon is vanishing over the horizon of unaffordability.

The bottom line is, having a camera which delivers great IQ, and performance
while being enjoyable to use. For me Fujifilm delivers that without the over
the top pricing of Canon, Nikon, and Sony. This is from somebody who has
spent considerable cash on Nikon DSLRs and glass.

I think Fuji is a considerably more robust than Pentax, so you
shouldn't have to worry.

Sadly, I have to agree, though it would be nice to see Pentax do something
exciting, there is just too much from the photographic past that is gone.

Savageduck