Old September 15th 14, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Lenses and sharpening

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article 2014091316132932858-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
...and what PP software, & what sharpening methods do you use?
I am not going to advocate one application, or method over the other, I
know what advice I can give with what I am familiar with in my workflow.

Isn't unsharp mask the same across all PP applications? I would have
thought it's an algorithm which is implemented in various PP
applications, or are there differences?

The digital form of unsharp mask is the inverse of a blur. There's both
a frequency (diameter) and an intensity.

Not the case. It is the high pass sharpen tool that is the inverse of
blur. They can use the exact same algorithm with different parameters.
Using one and then the other virtually reverses the results.

UnSharpMask is not reversible.

The fancier sharpening tools analyze an image and adapt the sharpening
to different types of blur in the image. This handles minor focus
problems, simple motion blur, and some of the radial blurring found in
cheap lenses.

The super-fancy tools will trace camera shake and estimate a corrected
image.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)