Old April 6th 14, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?

Eric Stevens wrote:
Clark Vision have published articles describing their tests with all
these things using Photoshop. See for example
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/image-restoration2/index.html

Read it a little closer Eric, Roger Clark did not use
PhotoShop for Richardson-Lucy Deconvolutional
sharpening, he also didn't even mention the Wavelet
sharpening that I have previously commented on.

Clark does describe Unsharp Mask using PhotoShop to be
specifically much the same as USM is in other editors.

He also points out the "Smart Sharpen" is the kind of
problem that I described, where the user cannot tell
what it might do. Some settings may use a different mix
of two or more types of sharpening. It's the kind of
thing you just adjust until it looks "wonderful", and
have no idea if that setting would also be useful on the
next image or not.

Roger is very good at collecting data and graphing it
for useful presentations. He has serious problems
interpeting the data at times, and while he becomes
extremely defensive when challenged he does learn from
discussions and also edits his web page articles to
indicate what he has learned. You might notice that the
page you cite was recently updated... primarily due to
a discussion that I and several others participated in
where many of Roger's original conclusios were shown to
be not quite as clear or accurate as they could be. I
of course don't think he moved far enough, and I'm sure
he thinks the same about me. We both moved some, and it
was all in all a very intensive and useful discussion.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)