Old April 1st 14, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Default Calumet files Chapter 7

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 04:39:26 +0000, Sandman wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

PeterN:
Just look at and read any of your postings in which Tony
orI corrected your English.

Sandman:
There is none to look at that meet that criteria.

Tony Cooper:
Here's one for you, then. "There is none..."
is a gross error.

Sandman:
"gross", huh? I'm way past at taking you at face value, so you
need more than just a claim here, Andreas.

Tony Cooper:
What? You need some "substantiation" that it should be "There are
none..."?

Sandman:
I actually missed that, I thought it was "none" you were in reference
to, which sort of speaks to how low your credibility with regards to
English is and how any comment you make about it will be doubted
until you give anything substantial.

I'm still baffled about the "gross" part though, but that's just you
trolling though.

Use that dictionary you keep copy/pasting from: gross =
unattractively large or bloated.

I am perfectly aware of the meaning of the word "gross", which is why I
am baffled by your misuse of it. Accidentally writing "is" when one
should have written "are" is pretty much one of the tiniest and
"non-bloated" ways to make a grammar mistake.

That being said, a "gross" mistake is not something that is likened to
being large or bloated, you picked the wrong definition. Words mean
several things, and "gross" when used to describe a mistake is more
aptly defined with the "vulgar, unrefined" part of the Oxford definition
of the word, as opposed to something related to size. Or even the
"complete, blatant" one.

You are using an incorrect interpretation. 'Gross' in this context is an
indefinite numerical simile.

In this case, either definition is equally ill-fitted though, which is
why you used it of course.

And that is why you are wrong.

--
Neil