Old July 27th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Renumbering sequence of filenames?

Dave Cohen wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 03:20:12 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Dave Cohen wrote:
Lobster wrote:
For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to
reset its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library
of photos had incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I
suddenly find myself with a new set of photos starting back at
IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but
I want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG.
Life's too short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it?
(using Windows XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP
command window - but how?

Thanks
David
You seem to have found the way to fix the problem for future shots.
Basically you take a shot and rename with higher number. Although
the directory info will be all wrong, the camera seems not to care
and sorts things out.
When buying a new camera, if you want to continue the numbering
sequence just insert existing card.
As to why this happened, it will happen if you format (or have an
empty card) and do a reset to defaults. If you need to reset to
defaults, make sure the card contains images.
Dave Cohen
I believe that the rename function of Irfanview can handle this
task. Best yet, the program is free.

Yes that's what i use, its batch function works a treat, i've also
found it a great viewer and can also do most of the manipulating i
need with it. The net is cluttered by camera generic file names so i
rename all my
shots to my own coded filename.
Jim
www.inghamcam.info

I use Irfanview to insert the camera model into my file-names so that
the pictures from my wife's camera can be distinguished from those
from my camera, which Kodak stupidly named the same. BAD BAD KODAK!

Although I use Ifanview for other batch functions, I haven't used it for
renaming. I do use a freebie found by googling 'rename master'. This
provides a lot of options like number sequencing etc. Best to try a
trial download rather than attempting to explain.
Dave Cohen

I believe there is a rename utility (Pfrank?) which is also supposed to
work well, but I haven't use it since Irfanview does what I need to do.