Old July 27th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Renumbering sequence of filenames?

Paul Furman wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

The only thing that *really* makes sense though is year-mo-day-number
like 2008-07-26_0001.jpg I wish cameras offered that as an option.
I've done that when using tethered remote control software but it's
not an option for regular shooting.

Even that doesn't solve the naming problem for those of us who have
multiple cameras, not all of which name the files to include the
camera model number so they can be kept separate, even when in the
same directory.

I guess you do need hours, minutes, seconds then, and 'camera#' if that
was important. I'm getting a second body and considering some sort of
approach like that. I wouldn't want to sort by camera though, just

That starts to get into a rather long filename. When on vacation, both
cameras (mine and my wife's) are often contributing to the
'documentation' of the vacation scenery. Hers has better resolution,
but less zoom, and is terrible in low light. Mine has better zoom, less
resolution, and better low light usability. We use whichever is more
appropriate to the conditions. Being able to distinguish which camera
is being used without reference to the EXIF information is useful, and
avoids the appearance of duplicate file names.