Old April 29th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just D

Default Help me pick out a lens for the Nikon D80

"Rita Ä Berkowitz"
The 18-200mm VR
It does have a decent FoV equivalent to a 135mm lens, but it would
have been nice for it to have the same as a 200mm lens.

Is there any lens having significantly better DoF at this range?

The biggest problem with this lens is its
poor build quality and poor light gathering properties. The lens creep
and
many complaints of the front element working its way loose and falling off
are totally unacceptable. And what compounds the problem is the need to

That's really scary! I've never seen any complaints on the Internet about
these fall outs. It would be interesting to know where these ones have been
built? Do you have any statistics? I know that Nikon has at least 3-4
different factories making lenses including Japan, China, Thailand, etc. The
price can be slightly different as well.

have a lot of light to wake this lens up. I find it near impossible to
shoot below ISO 400 and +0.7 EV compensation. It's a decent walk around
lens in principle, but takes a lot of work to get used to if you are

I'd expect this lens to do that. The diameter is not very large comparing to
other better zoom lenses.

accustomed to shooting with good glass. It's overpriced for what you get.

I notices that its price is coming down and it went out of backorder in
several companies. Maybe people noticed more drawbacks of this lens t be
more careful. I saw couple interesting reviews on the Internet and the test
shots that I was not very happy with.

Fortunately I was able to sell a total of three of these dogs to offset
the
cost of justify keeping mine. At $750 it is a rip-off and Nikon should be

Could you recall the country where these lenses came from? Just wondering if
this is a country/factory related fault or it's very general for this lens?

ashamed of themselves. Pity the fool that paid more than $750 MSRP,
though
I'm glad they do.

Just wondering why?

Just D.