Old April 29th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Help me pick out a lens for the Nikon D80

On 2007-04-29 07:02:06 -0700, "Jürgen Exner" said:

Gary Seven wrote:
I will probably go for the D80 mostly because it fits my hand much
better than say, the Canon 30D. There are other little
"pleasantries" I like, especially the viewfinder. I'm at a loss
though, of the type of lens or lenses to purchase with the body.
There are two types of shooting that I do: (1) family shots of my
two little girls (indoor and outdoor) and (2) landscape style
photography, mostly of my vineyards here in Priorat (Spain). Along
those lines I like to do shots of vines, overall vine/row shots,
background "mountain" shots, and I would also like to do very
close-up (macro?) shots.

Get the 18-135mm kit lens. You can't beat the price and for a kit lens it is
a _very_ good lens, see
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/993/cat/13 for a
review.

It will cover all your needs except for the macro photos. For those look at
macro lens line from Sigma, maybe the 70mm or 105mm. For third-party lenses
they are surprisingly good, pretty much in the same ballpark as
manufacturers lenses, see http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/30.
If you can afford it, then the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro will outclass any
other macro lens, see
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ate/1129408622.

But

it is _much_ more expensive.

Stay away from the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro, it doesn't seem to do too
well, even the Sigma 50mm got a better picture quality.

jue

Mostly baloney, especially the bit about macro.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor