Old February 25th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

Default BAMBOO LOVES THE FAB 5D2!

On 2/24/2011 4:21 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Reminds me of the mainframe I used as a student back in the
19-ought-80s, a Honeywell DPS-8. Some of the OS code was obviously
written by wisenheimers. I remember writing FORTRAN programs with "GOTO"
statements in them (The horror!). If you named the target of the GOTO
statement "JAIL" (hence "GOTO JAIL" in the program), when you executed
(ran) your program, the output printout would respond with:

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

(I guess this is what's technically called an "Easter egg", no?)

Hey, I even found an online reference for this:
http://www.sanitarium.net/jokes/getjoke.cgi?63

With the FORTRAN compiler under the CP-V operating system on Xerox
Sigma computers, the program:

10 assign 10 to jail
goto jail

Would elicit the diagnostic:

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet