Old February 25th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

Default BAMBOO LOVES THE FAB 5D2!

On 2/18/2011 7:52 PM Noons spake thus:

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 19/02/2011 11:39 AM:

Anyway, this one guy I heard about was having a helluva time
communicating with this beast and he got so flustered he started
typing in cuss words. He'd suggest something obscene and the
computer would dutifully reply with, "That command cannot be
completed." Finally, at wit's end, he typed, "Screw you!"

The computer answered, "Ready."

Never get in the way of a good urban myth...

Well, that part is not urban legend; probably happened just as related.

Reminds me of the mainframe I used as a student back in the
19-ought-80s, a Honeywell DPS-8. Some of the OS code was obviously
written by wisenheimers. I remember writing FORTRAN programs with "GOTO"
statements in them (The horror!). If you named the target of the GOTO
statement "JAIL" (hence "GOTO JAIL" in the program), when you executed
(ran) your program, the output printout would respond with:

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

(I guess this is what's technically called an "Easter egg", no?)

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet