Old April 4th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
homepc

Default Battery problem

I'm glad you pointed this problem out. I recently got a mail order memory
card for my new Canon A720IS and was worried that it wouldn't work properly.
The camera manual stressed using only Canon SD memory cards. I only
anticipated loosing picture files, but this is another issue to look out for
that I never considered. The Dane-Elec 2 GB SD card I got seems to work OK.
so far.

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
dvus wrote:

I wonder if the 2 Gig memory card that's installed could be the problem?
Has
anyone had a problem like this that could give me some ideas?

I remember seeing a report of exactly this sort of problem a while ago.
See

http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=11693034

I saw another mention of a similar problem in a posting at Steve's
Digicam Forums but I can't find the article at the moment.

The problem seems to depend both on the camera brand/mode, and on the
SD card brand/model. I don't know why, but hypothesize that some
characteristic of certain cards can cause a camera's firmware to fail
to power the card/socket down when the camera goes to sleep ("switched
off"), and that the static current drain of powering the card
eventually flattens the battery.

Try a different brand or model/type of card.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO