Old June 3rd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Now that "hybrid aspheres" are avail, where's the cheap "NoctNikkors?"

RichA wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:36 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
RichA wrote:
Could it BE that the PLASTIC part of the lens cannot be made
accurately enough (certainly not as well as a glass part) and thus
they can't produce a modern Noct?
Kind of reminds me of the plastic used in camera bodies "engineering
plastic," a new euphemism for the same old crap.

I guess you never fly on MD-80's, 737-400's (and later), 747-400's (and
later), 757's, 767's, Airbus 320, 330 and 340.

As to the upcoming 787, it takes the cake in composites and plastics and
the competing A-350 will go almost as far. The A-380 also depends
highly on plastics and composites to keep its weight down.

Darned engineers.

Yes, those DSLR do use multiple layers of kevlar and carbon fibre in
their bodies, don't they? That's like saying mixing copper and tin
give you gold instead of brass because they're all metals.

Stop being so selective. Cockpit windows are made of plastic/glass
layers, they don't break often despite temperature and pressure
differentials. Fighter canopies are made of either acrylics or
polycarbonates and goto Mach 2 and ever faster. Aircraft also use many
non-composite plastics in many areas including valves, pump impeller
casings, skin areas, spacers, piping and so on. Some missiles
(supersonic) use non-composite plastic nose cones and fins.

Those cameras that use polycarbonate are more than up to the task. My
7xi (bought in 1993, not much use these days) certainly carries the
scars and patina of the long, ungentle use that it got. And yet is not
broken (despite a few falls) and functions just fine.

I've seen more "tragically" disabled metal cameras than plastic.

Plastic bodied cameras are more than adequate for the needs of most
casual, many amateur and some pro photogs. The proof is in the wide
range of such cameras in long term use everywhere by such photogs.

You just keep banging your drum, though.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.