Old January 28th 13, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Haley

Default Choosing a system, the practical and the philosophical

David Hare-Scott wrote:

I am after such general advice that comes from experience and not
from sales brochures. If you recommend one or the other I am more
interested in the reason why than the recommendation itself, as I
might have different needs and abilities to yours. I am not trying
to start a flame war, I have no axe to grind nor (I hope) any
preconceived ideas.

What really matters is where the systems are going in the next few
years/decades. Today, you'll be fine with either Nikon or Canon.

It wasn't always so. Around 2005-2007, it seemed to me that Nikon had
lost the fight: Canon had the 1Ds Mark II and the 5D, both
high-performing full-frame (35mm) digital cameras, and Nikon had
nothing comparable. I was seriously worried that Nikon had given up
trying, and I'd have to abandon a bagful of Nikkors. Some
professionals were reported to have done exactly that.

Thankfully, it wasn't to last, and Nikon woke up. I now use a Nikon
D800.

Andrew.