Old January 27th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

Default Choosing a system, the practical and the philosophical

I come from a background of an old Pentax K mount SLR film camera and a
long period away from photography. A couple of years ago I bought a
cheap super-zoom digital fixed lens just to find out what the digital
revolution was about. I am now frustrated with its limitations and
looking to go DSLR. I don't have a lot of money but enough to get
started. I like to photograph the natural world: eagles, landscapes,
insects and flowers. I can see the budget will have to cover several
lenses eventually (sigh).

Given the price of lenses once you start with a system (eg Nikon or
Canon) you tend to stay with it, I don't see that many are going to jump
from one to the other although I suppose its possible. This explains
why people stick to a system but not why they selected it in the first
place. I know there are other systems but for the point of discussion
let's stick to those two. Why choose one over the other? A couple of
possibilities come to mind, no doubt there are plenty that I haven't
thought of.

One is that the buyer was attracted to a particular body at a point in
time and bought lenses to go with it. This suggests that at some other
point in time they could have gone with the opposition if they had a
body in their line-up that attracted the buyer more. This implies that
there is no intrinsic difference between the competitors but that over
time their systems leapfrog each other in appeal according to the models
in the catalog.

Another is that there is some intrinsic difference between the systems.
As neither seem to be fading into oblivion if such a difference exists
it seems to be one of style or approach not of basic suitability for
purpose. Is there such a difference? If so what is? What kind of
photographer is attracted to one or the other?

I suppose a third is that they were given a Nikon or that Daddy always
used Canon and that is what they learned on, that is the photographer
didn't really choose but fell into it. I have no such initial conditions.

There could be other reasons for choosing one system over another. What?

Is this issue covered on the WWW or in any literature? Where?

I am after such general advice that comes from experience and not from
sales brochures. If you recommend one or the other I am more interested
in the reason why than the recommendation itself, as I might have
different needs and abilities to yours. I am not trying to start a
flame war, I have no axe to grind nor (I hope) any preconceived ideas.

What Bob Coe said makes a lot of sense. I started out with Nikon, and
stuck with it because my lenses worked with my DSLR. That the Nikon
repair center is located a few minutes from where I live, was also a
factor in my decision.
Don't be mislead by those who will start a Nikon v Canon, war. Just tune
them out. Either Nikon or Canon will make a good choice. If you really
will use you Pentax lenses, go for compatibility. You decision really
depends on your planned use, and the depth of your wallet.

--
PeterN