Old April 20th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

In article , Neil
wrote:

At 12mp, the
final output of that 8x10 camera will not produce an image with the
same
linearity and gradation accuracy of a camera with a much smaller sensor
but two times as many pixels. So, the inevitable errors in the final
image is also "noise", and more relevant than what the individual
sensor
cell can capture because it's the image that one looks at, not the
sensor cell's noise level.

false.

Once again, you are wrong. Do the math, then come back with the same BS.

i've done the math, as have many others.

simple example: 12 mp cellphone camera versus 12mp full frame slr.

The comparison would be between the 12mp 8x10 camera vs a _20mp_ smaller
sensored camera.

that would be comparing *two* variables and then attributing any
difference to only one of them.

in other words, an invalid comparison.

Not at all.

yes at all.

you *can't* attribute a difference in image quality to any one factor
when multiple factors are different.

I'm talking about the resulting images, which is all that I
care about. You're talking about sensor cell performance which is not an
issue, since it's obvious that larger sensors will have lower S/N ratios
than smaller ones.

apparently not obvious to everyone.

Only you are talking about that aspect in response to
my comment.

because i understand the physics involved.

and actually, it's more than just two variables since the lenses will
be different, the sensor technology is different, the exposure and raw
processing will be different as well as many other factors.

My comment was ONLY about preferring to carry a smaller, much higher
resolution camera. All pertinent factors, such as those you mentioned
are taken into consideration because I'm only comparing the resulting
images of subjects. I doubt that sensor noise will be the most degrading
element in that comparison.

most people prefer to carry smaller cameras than lug an 8x10 behemoth
around, or even an slr. often, it's a worthwhile tradeoff. sometimes it
isn't.

a photo studio may choose to use a large format camera for the utmost
quality because it *doesn't* have to be moved. the subjects come to
*it*, not the other way around.

pick the best tool for the job.