Old January 12th 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

Default thumbnail sizes

In article , "Carlos E.R."
writes:

Maybe he wants to have a directory that loads and browses fast with
small versions of the photos. Who knows?

Right.

For instance, somebody I knew generated them in order to create a web
page on his home server.

Right.

The user would see a bunch of photos, click on
one and get the large version.

Right.

So he wanted to generate much smaller
versions to optimize load time for the preview.

Right.

Yeah, sure, there will be some product out there that does it all. Where
is the joy in it, instead of doing it yourself completely? Or maybe he
was creating one of those "products" :-P

The script will produce thumbnails of an arbitrarily large number of
files. I have another script which produces a complete web page. I
type two commands and it is done. The quality of the thumbnails is not
an issue.

Between the lines, there are some suggestions that some cameras might
somehow include a thumbnail in the JPEG image, which could perhaps be
extracted with less effort than creating a new one with my script. If
so, that would be interesting to know.

Out of curiosity, the question about the different sizes of the
thumbnail files remains, though.