Old June 10th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
bugbear

Default Councillor Anderson, handheld at full zoom

On 2010-06-10 12:43:10 +0100, Peter said:

"bugbear" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg
(full size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast loading)

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order
to see how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec
(360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really
interested in how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple
fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Barrel distortion can be trivially post corrected.

Is that barrel distorting, or a curved wall?

Distortion at full zoom is pincushion.

true

Here it is offset by the curved wall and is barely detectable towards
the top left corner.

I didn't notice the pincushion, but thought bugbear might have been
confusing the curved wall with barrel distortion.

No - I was simply addressing Dudley's expressed concern.

- actually, most geometrical distortions can be post corrected.
I'm particularly aware of this, since I make panorama's,
where correct stitching involves manipulating photographs
carefully, including correcting lens distortions (before
applying deliberate distortions!)

BugBear