Old May 16th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

Default Nikon D100, D2X or Kodak DCS Pro 14N ???

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message oups.com...
30magic writes ...

In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at
possibly getting the D100 or D2x ... Which will get me the best
results? I'd guess the 14N but I only assume that due to the
megapixels of the camera. Any thougts, anybody???

I'm a Canon user but I have a few friends who are Nikon users ... this
is a no-brainer, the D2x is an exceptional camera and of the three you
mention it's by far the best, though you may not need a $5,000 camera
for what you are going to shoot ... the newer D200 is also very good at
a lower price, certainly better than the D100 or 14N.

The D100 is an older outdated 6 Mpixel model which was adequate in its
time but that time has passed. The 14N should have been a best seller
(full frame, 14 Mpixels when 6 Mpixels was par for the course) but it
had some serious problems with noise, moire and extremely long turn-on
and boot times ... I think the first ones took up to 2 minutes to turn
on, for example (reduced with firmware upgrades but still way too
long). Because of the noise it was basically unusable over say ISO
400, some would say over 200. It was a dog at birth and died a dog's
death a couple years later because of poor sales ... the only people
who got much use from it were studio photographers who didn't care
about the slow turn-on and who could use it at slow ISO settings, but
they had to be careful with the moire.

Get the D2x or D200 or D70 or D50 ...

Bill

A further note:
If the OP has any non-AF lenses he wishes to use, the D200
and D2x can meter with these, the D70 and D50 cannot...
--
David Ruether