Old November 21st 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom

Default buying a ~ $1100 SLR - which one and why?

Rudy Benner wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

I am quite happy with my Nikon D-50. Buy the body but don't get the kit
lens. Upgrade to the 18-70mm which is the kit lens for the D-70. If you can
get the D-70 with the 18-70mm for cheaper, get that instead.

No shutter delay that I can detect. Its great. Battery lasts forever.

I am very happy with my D50 too, got it with the 18-55 kit lens, and
recently purchased the 18-70 used from a camera store. I like it
too....but I think if I had to do it over again I would save the 18-70
money in a drawer until I could add $500 to it and get the 18-200VR lens.

So, not already having an investment in lens' I went for best hand-grip
feel in my price range and stepped over the canon 350 series for the
D50. I have made lab photo-paper blow-ups to 20"x30" (with the kit
lens) and am *very* happy with the results. Today I might get the D80
with the cheapest lens I can find...and the 18-200vr a year later.