Old March 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Slow Sync / Rear Curtain

Geoff wrote:

Hey everyone. I've recently been learning about and experimenting with
slow sync flash and have been attempting various special effects photos.
I thought I fully understood the diference between slow sync and rear
curtain, but yesterday my D70s decided to throw a spanner in the works!
I had the flash set to 'rear' in A mode, and did around a 1s exposure. I
noticed it was flashing at the start AND end of the exposure. Well that
threw me to start with, but I recovered from that and read in the manual
that in order to just get the flash at the end (which is what I
wanted), it needs to be in P or S mode. Well I'm not sure why things are
like that, but whatever, I set it to S mode. Well I STILL got 2 flashes
and not just the one. Can anyone give me a clue why that was please? I
have other questions regarding the results I got yesterday but it's
probably best to re-research that myself.

Probably pre-flash flash metering.

1) Did the images look okay?

2) If you determine the flash power seperately (incident flash meter)
and you can set your (attachement) flash power manually, then you can
get rid of the pre-flash.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.