Old December 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
Frank ess

Ryadia wrote:
A quick and dirty solution to your problem is to just use the flash.
What many people do is use a reflective card or board on the flash
with it's head turned up so it acts as a bounce flash, bouncing off
the card. Sto-Fen make a diffuser to do the same thing or, in a fix
I've been known to resort to using a white paper bag over the flash
head!

Some transparent material used in window drapes is also useful as a
softener. Raw flash, no matter how reduced is not kind to highlights.
Diffused flash is the way to go.

Doug
-----------
"Jerry Shaw" wrote in message
I have a new Canon 20D and 580 EX flash. I'm looking for information
on using this combination for fill flash.

Acting on a tip from someone here, and my experience on an excursion
train with a failed lighting system (put a paper cup over the lens of a
flashlight to see the effect in a darkened room), I found a nice gallon
fruit juice plastic jug and cut slits in the flat end so that when
folded out they accepted the business end of my Vivitar 285. A sturdy
rubber band keeps it in place. Pointed straight up it represents a light
source of about 8 by 10 inches. I haven't tried it in public, but it
works good at home, and increases the likelihood of genuine smiles in
person photos.

--
Frank ess