Old September 16th 04, 03:02 PM
Your name

Default Pentax MZ-50 + Auto Flash -Help

Hi All

I have a Pextax MZ-50 (aka. zx-50) and a (cheap)Phoenix 80DZA multi-
dedicated auto flash.
The flash is dedicated to several older Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Minolta
SLRs.

When I put the flash on, Along with the main center contact, one of the
three contacts on the flash is touching one of three contact on my MZ-
50 flash hot shoe.

*
*
*

This is what it looks like with the flash head pointing down.
Pattern on the flash. "x" is the trigger contact. The one closest on to
the x is touching one on my camera

When I put the flash on the camera, the camera reconizes that a flash is
there. The pop up flash is closed.

The thing is ....
The exposure and the aperture with the Phoenix flash on is exactly as
when I am using the pop-up flash. In auto mode (smart mode?)on the
camera.

The pop up flash is GN 33 @ ISO100
The Phoenix flash is GN 59 @ ISO100 @ 28mm, it zooms up to 85mm (higher
GN)

I set the flash on auto Red which sets the flash output as if you are
using f/2.8, (blue is f/5.6).

Keeping the flash in 28mm zoom and on red, I go on taking pics, zooming
in and out (with a 28-80 af lens) and not touch the flash.

I get generally well exposed pics (whether I zoomed in or wide angle)
and, not over-exposed at all.

I once used a Nikon SB-50 flash, flash zoom set at (minimum)24mm and with
the pop-up flash up because the mz-50 didnt reconize the sb-50.The pop up
flash was diffused by the diffuser on the sb-50 flash.
I got slightly over-exposed pics but nice and bright.

My question is since the Phoenix flash is reconized by my camera why is
the exposure and aperture automatically set exactly as if the pop-up was
on.

And since the pics were well exposed, would setting the camera at 1/60 or
1/90 and f/5.6 aperture in manual mode on my camere make the pics under-
exposed.

normally with the phoenix flash and the pop-up flash the exposure is 1/30
to 1/45 and f/3.5 to 5.6.

Could someone explain whats exactly going on?

Or would getting a TTL flash be better?

Thanks

VL