Old August 1st 09, 10:01 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default [SI] New Mandate: Interesting (see description)

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 19:25:30 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:
:
: "Richard" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
: news:tl0dm.39083$PH1.26387@edtnps82...
:
: "Richard" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "GavinS" wrote in message
: news : On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:13:19 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
:
: "Interesting." Shoot a picture of something that the viewer of the pic,
: not
: necessarily you, find interesting.
:
: Excuse me, but that's the whole point of all photography. Was I
: supposed to
: be taking photographs of things that only I'm interested in all my
: life?
: How silly of me. If I can't capture an image that others will find
: interesting then what's the point? I find this theme of yours rather
: strange I guess. Even stranger is any "photographer" who would think
: that
: it is supposed to be some kind of unique category or challenge.
:
: Well, excuse me. I take photos for my own selfish ends. If others find
: them interesting bothers me not one bit. Sometimes they do mostly they
: don't, what difference does it make?
: To take a photo that truly interests everyone else is a pretty tough
: task.
: Just my opinion.
:
:
:
: I find it interesting that most artists I've talked to seem to say the
: same thing, "I do this because I love it. If others share my pleasure,
: great. If not, that's too bad, but I don't do it for them; I do it for
: myself."
:
: To me, this is the dividing line between a professional and an artist.
: The professional does it to put food on the table, so he / she is more
: interested in the opinion of others, so they subordinate their own taste
: to the bottom line. The true artist, to his or her own financial
: detriment, always gives free reign to personal taste.
:
: In essence, this challenge is asking for "professional" shots. For me,
: that will be a challenge, so I may just have to submit something this
: time.
:
: Take Care,
: Dudley
:
: Errrm no. I see not the mandate for "professional" shots. But, anyway
: hypothetically, are you attacking this one from your professional side or
: your artistic side?
:
:
:
: There's a shot I'd LOVE to do, but I know I'd be attacked for trying to get
: points by using the "freak show" angle to my advantage. While I can pretty
: much guarranttee EVERYONE would find the shot INTERESTING, I doubt I'll take
: it, although I may chat with the fellow and see how he feels about it.
:
: That shot could be done either artistically or professionally -- I'd
: probably go pro on it since the more artistic it got, the louder the howls
: of outrage would be.
:
: For me, the real challenge is to come up with a professional shot,
: indistinguishable from something you might see from a sighted pro in a
: newspaper or magazine, something that is interesting purely from it's
: content, composition subject and traditional technical merit, so that's the
: route I'm favouring -- at the moment.
:
: But, that other shot is so darn tempting ...

Well, you get to submit three ...

Bob