Old August 1st 09, 08:04 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default [SI] New Mandate: Interesting (see description)

"Richard" wrote in message

"GavinS" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:13:19 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"Interesting." Shoot a picture of something that the viewer of the pic,
not
necessarily you, find interesting.

Excuse me, but that's the whole point of all photography. Was I supposed
be taking photographs of things that only I'm interested in all my life?
How silly of me. If I can't capture an image that others will find
interesting then what's the point? I find this theme of yours rather
strange I guess. Even stranger is any "photographer" who would think that
it is supposed to be some kind of unique category or challenge.

Well, excuse me. I take photos for my own selfish ends. If others find
them interesting bothers me not one bit. Sometimes they do mostly they
don't, what difference does it make?
To take a photo that truly interests everyone else is a pretty tough task.
Just my opinion.

I find it interesting that most artists I've talked to seem to say the same
thing, "I do this because I love it. If others share my pleasure, great.
If not, that's too bad, but I don't do it for them; I do it for myself."

To me, this is the dividing line between a professional and an artist. The
professional does it to put food on the table, so he / she is more
interested in the opinion of others, so they subordinate their own taste to
the bottom line. The true artist, to his or her own financial detriment,
always gives free reign to personal taste.

In essence, this challenge is asking for "professional" shots. For me, that
will be a challenge, so I may just have to submit something this time.

Take Care,
Dudley