Old December 22nd 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

Default End of an Era

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:10:38 +1000, Graham Fountain wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
There's also the little matter that they have a camera and lens for just
about any niche you can imagine, while the competition doesn't.

Sorry, what were you saying?

I think he was saying _Pentax_ had more niche products, and the
two of you are in violent agreement. In addition to the lenses
you mention, Pentax also has two medium format systems, and had
even dabbled in such stuff as a 110 SLR. (I own both Pentax 645
and 110 systems).

In 35mm, though, Pentax has been an "also ran" since at least
the start of the autofocus era, and hasn't been 1st or 2nd in
sales since before the days of Canon's AE-1. As others pointed
out, they have been strapped for capital for quite a while, and
been unable to deliver promised products like the 645D.

I find their demise as an independent company regrettable, but
also inevitable.

--
Michael Benveniste --