Old April 24th 21, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default FF lenses for the most part aren't perfect past 40mp

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 21:26:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 20:52:12 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 22:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:
Proof can be seen between the the new flagship Sony and the A7RIV. While the A7RIV with its 61mp count does show some extra detail, the image is softer than the flagship with its fewer pixels.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a1-review/5

It all depends upon the nature of your photography.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4a92fnamy...04235.jpg?dl=0 is a
shot taken in very poor light 1/20 sec, f2.8, ISO 2000, hand held. I
find the fact that the bracing wires are clearly delineated for the
depth of the shot quite satisfying. That was shot with 24Mp and I
doubt that double that number would have enhanced the quality of the
photograph.

Eric Stevens

Quality is subjective and resolution can vary in "quality." I've seen astronomical shots that displayed terrific resolution but relatively poor sharpness, but there it's defined more by seeing conditions and aperture.
However, I do not think the average lens is capable, even stopped down, of displaying all the resolution and sharpness that is theoretically possible with these new 40+ MP sensors.
Nikon has done a good job with its new mirrorless lenses, if an "average of quality over the whole line" is tested.

Basically, I am agreeing with you. For the ordinary person +50Mp is of
no real benefit.

Eric Stevens