Old October 18th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default Time scale

In article ,
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

I think folks get mildly hysterical about it because it is something
that is safe to fuss over - nothing bad ever happens - and some people
just like to fuss. A bit of Polonius in all of us.

I think I'll put a fresh box of paper in the freezer, though ...

Kodak also recommends against freezing their factory-exposed process
control strips for C41. I don't know about E6. If you can find the
document on the Kodak web site from when they changed the recommendation
about four or five years ago, it actually discusses the experimental
basis for this and gives some (very slight) detail on changes in their
emulsions that they believe led to the change in performance after freezing.

Of course, this is _preexposed_ film meant to give predictable sensiometric
results after weeks or even months of storage. That's some major serious
voodoo going on there -- an electron knocked from this orbit to that orbit
as the substrate changes phase could change a lot more than you'd think --
and unexposed film is unquestionably much more forgiving.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX