Old August 8th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Waiting For The Wind

On 2015-08-08 15:08:09 +0000, PeterN said:
On 8/8/2015 2:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Hobie Cat caught by the calm at Port San Luis.

https://db.tt/gfDm2RvQ

nice concept. I would have put the cat on the right quadrant. My
thought is that we tend to view from left to right. The lead is from
the left to the right, otherwise the negative space on the right is
just wasted pixels. Try it and see which you like better.

I was trying to rationalize composition when I was working on it. I was
left with three workable options:
1: Use your suggestion. However, then I would be left with a whole
bunch of clutter on the left which was awkward to remove.
Here is what was going on from the left.
https://db.tt/4QrIdrV2

2: Change the aspect ratio and center the subject.
https://db.tt/45q14UUg

or
3: Present it as I did.

There was one other possibility, have them move the "cat" to the right.

For me this was more a casual look at how the X-E1 dealt with the
saturated colors in that sail.

I see what you mean. Here's my attempt. I cropped and changed the
aspect ratio back:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg

The problem with that is the distortion you created.
Just how did you go about "changing the aspect ratio back"?
Did you just change the vertical dimension?

Savageduck