Old January 24th 04, 10:15 AM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Default Road ruts with Jobo

Brian Kosoff wrote:

I'm using a Jobo cpp-2 processor I am getting an uneveness in
development which jobo refers to as "road ruts" that is a linear uneveness
that runs the long length of the film, in the direction of the rotation.
It's dense on the edge, then lighter 1/3 of the way in, then denser, then
lighter then denser.

It seems to me that this is *the* inherent problem of rotary processing
and it isn't limited to Jobo machines. I'm having the same trouble with
a Mafina (http://www.laborfoto.de/V_50gb.htm) where the film is wound
around the outside of a large diameter drum (approx. 35 cm/14") and then
rotated through a shallow pan-like recipient holding the chemicals.

While I haven't noticed any of this with rollfilm, it can be really bad
with 35 mm. Usually, it doesn't show, but on low-contrast/high density
negatives, it is quite annoying. The area along the edges is
considerably denser than the rest. Sometimes, I even get to see the
perforation pattern as density modulation in the negative.

I'm attributing this mainly to turbulence caused by the perforation.

Hand agitation obviously isn't a viable alternative with C-41, let alone
E-6. Any other suggestions?

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de