Old February 6th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred McKenzie

Default Pentax question

In article ,
Lyndon wrote:

I have been using Pentax film cameras for all of my photography life
(from the H-1a screw mounts). I currently have the MX camera with many
Kmount lenses. I have noticed the K30 pentax camera and am wondering if
it will take the K mount lenses and get approx the same results with
them. For instance, I have a 24mm lens which is a very wide angle
lens. I have been told that earlier dslr cameras could be modified to
take such a lens, but it would no longer give 24mm film comparable
pictures. Hope this isn't too confusing. But I would like to keep using
all my older K mount lens if possible with similar digital result.

Lyndon-

As others have mentioned, you will be able to use all of your old Pentax
lenses one way or another. There is a screw-mount adapter if you still
have any of these older lenses. I suggest you download the owner's
manual for the K30. It probably has a section that tells you how to use
older lenses.

I do not consider 24mm to be "very" wide, but it was great for taking
pictures when you could not back up any further! With the smaller K30
sensor, it will be more like a 35mm lens was on your MX. For the wide
angle case, go ahead and get the K30 with a kit lens. My Pentax *ist DS
DSLR came with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, equivalent to 27-82.5mm on
your MX.

I have tried using my older K-mount lenses with the *ist DS. Yes, it
can be done. However, it is not very convenient except with the "A"
lenses. In other words, you can use the old lenses but you may not like
it!

The KA lenses only need you to set the body for manual focus.
Everything else is automatic. (I can not speak for the anti-shake
feature. I do not think mine has that.)

Fred