Old January 27th 13, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Choosing a system, the practical and the philosophical

me wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:12:13 +0000, David Taylor

At the point where I was ready to buy a DSLR, I went into the camera
store (the now-defunct Jessops, Edinburgh) and held both the Canon and
Nikon equivalent cameras to see which I preferred. The Nikon won, so
I've been Nikon ever since. I had no legacy lenses having sold off my
film SLR stuff while I could still get some money for it. I have not
been disappointed, and agree with some of the comments about Canon vs.
Nikon in this thread. I think both companies are in it for the long
term, although both will face competition from the newer mirrorless
cameras.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above. I would just also explicitly
mention besides the look and feel of the outside camera controls, it
might behoove one to delve into the menu system as well and see if its
layout makes sense to you.

If you actually use the camera, in six months or less
the "look and feel" of virtually any DSLR will become
comfortable. The same is true of the controls, both
hardware and menu driven.

I suspect that most of those who buy cameras based on
the feel of the camera, the color of the lenses, the
sound of the shutter, minor price variations, which one
some other photog uses, what the Walmart salesman says,
or for that matter what they read in forums such as this
on the Internet... get what they deserve. That is,
they'll really admire the camera sitting on the coffee
table and enjoy the conversations about it.

Other folks that chose their camera based on which one
does the best job for their style of photography will
have conversations about their photographs rather than
about their camera.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)