Old January 27th 13, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

Default Choosing a system, the practical and the philosophical

On 27/01/2013 00:33, David Hare-Scott wrote:
[]
There could be other reasons for choosing one system over another. What?

Is this issue covered on the WWW or in any literature? Where?

I am after such general advice that comes from experience and not from
sales brochures. If you recommend one or the other I am more interested
in the reason why than the recommendation itself, as I might have
different needs and abilities to yours. I am not trying to start a
flame war, I have no axe to grind nor (I hope) any preconceived ideas.

David

At the point where I was ready to buy a DSLR, I went into the camera
store (the now-defunct Jessops, Edinburgh) and held both the Canon and
Nikon equivalent cameras to see which I preferred. The Nikon won, so
I've been Nikon ever since. I had no legacy lenses having sold off my
film SLR stuff while I could still get some money for it. I have not
been disappointed, and agree with some of the comments about Canon vs.
Nikon in this thread. I think both companies are in it for the long
term, although both will face competition from the newer mirrorless
cameras.

My main lenses are an 18-200 mm image-stabilised walk-round zoom and a
Tamron 10-24 mm wide-angle, although I also have a 35 mm f/1.8 for
low-light, and a 16-85 mm smaller walk-round zoom. The 70-300mm
telephoto tends only to be used when I need it and can be bothered to
carry it. Choice of lenses can influence your choice of manufacturer -
can you get the lenses you want? Bear in mind that there is a wider
range of lenses available today compared to in the film era.

My latest purchase has been a more modern "bridge" camera, as I do
sometimes find the DSLR outfit a little heavy even with one lens. I
went for the Sony HX200V, with built-in GPS for geo-tagging, and a
27-810 mm (equivalent) zoom lens. Would be nice for your eagle
photography, if it's not too slow to respond....

It's all compromise one way or another!
--
Cheers,
David