Old January 27th 13, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred McKenzie

Default Choosing a system, the practical and the philosophical

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I come from a background of an old Pentax K mount SLR film camera and a long
period away from photography. A couple of years ago I bought a cheap
super-zoom digital fixed lens just to find out what the digital revolution
was about. I am now frustrated with its limitations and looking to go DSLR.
I don't have a lot of money but enough to get started. I like to photograph
the natural world: eagles, landscapes, insects and flowers. I can see
the budget will have to cover several lenses eventually (sigh).

David-

Not much has changed since you had the old Pentax. There are still
people who think their pet brand is the best! I am of the opinion that
any of the big-name brands are pretty good. As far as having lots of
gear available, both new and used, I think you are looking at Canon and
Nikon. Pentax and Sony/Minolta may be just as good, but there does not
seem to be as much available.

I also had Pentax K mount equipment, including some Sears/Ricoh bodies.
I eventually got a Pentax *ist-DS DSLR, which I liked. I had to settle
for a couple of Tokina zoom lenses to supplement the kit lens that came
with it. There are some newer models, but Pentax has not yet produced a
full-frame body as far as I know.

My current DSLR is a Canon 5D Mark II. It is impressive how well it
works in very low light conditions. Unless you were to find one at a
very good price, it may not be what you are looking for. One of the
entry level bodies with its kit lens may be your best bet to get started.

Bear in mind that entry level bodies will probably have a small sensor,
and come with a lens to match it. In other words, you would not be able
to use that lens if you were to upgrade to a body with a full-frame
sensor. I suggest you start with the kit lens, but make sure any
additional lenses will work with the larger sensor.

Fred