Old November 29th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
making heaps of flash presentations.

The image was placed on a black background, and made to
fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
images. Batched whole folders.

I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

Can't you do what you want in your print dialog? If not, take your
printer along with a thumb drive that contains your photos, to visit
someone who has a Macintosh computer. The built-in Preview App can
handle common image formats. In the print dialog, choose "Scale to
Fit", and select "Print Entire Image".

The idea is not to print them, but to generate files edited as
described. The original target was converting 200 or so images.

I don't do this often, but 100 at a time isn't unusual when I do,
and as many as 1000 isn't unlikely either.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson