Old November 28th 12, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

Rob wrote:
On 28/11/2012 9:48 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Wally wrote:
I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
the screen.

Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
common albums.

So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.

That is a relatively simple task using ImageMagick
tools... if of course you are familiar with them and
with writing batch files.

I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
making heaps of flash presentations.

The image was placed on a black background, and made to
fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
images. Batched whole folders.

I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)