Old November 18th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fred McKenzie

Default Cleaning the rubberised back of a camera

In article ,
Polly the Parrott wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:11:52 +1100, Rob wrote:
I have here a F80 which I know the history and it has done very little
work always stored in a hard snoot case not used for at least 12 years.

Its was as sticky as buggery I have tried several things, its the
plastic that is reverting back to petroleum. I don't think its sweat
that has caused the problem.

I finally used some Wurth brake cleaner (on a rag) to remove the sticky
surface then silicon Mr Sheen. Seems to have stopped the sticky feel.

Thanks, any damage at all visible after that?

Did it still have the plasticised back, or bare metal, or whatever?

Polly-

I have had several other types of equipment with the sticky surface. I
used 100% isopropyl alcohol to clean it off. (Iso-HEET Premium
Fuel-Line Antifreeze & Water Remover, available at Walmart)

The resulting surfaces were smooth plastic. My impression is that the
rubber surface had been painted on. The trick is to find some kind of
paint remover that will not damage the surface underneath. A product
called "Goo Gone" might also work, but I have not tried it on rubberized
surfaces.

Fred