Old November 13th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Polly the Parrott

Default Cleaning the rubberised back of a camera

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:11:52 +1100, Rob wrote:

On 13/11/2012 7:38 PM, Polly the Parrott wrote:
Old analogue camera (Nikon D90x), but the rubberised back has become
sticky.

Nikon Australia claim caused by sweat etc and use over the years;
wouldn't or couldn't recommend a way to get rid of the sticky feeling.

"no idea" the service drone told me.

Any ideas, without ruining the camera?

As usual, T.I.A!

BTW you may have a F90x

Correct, apologies.

(Everything "D" these days!)

I have here a F80 which I know the history and it has done very little
work always stored in a hard snoot case not used for at least 12 years.

Its was as sticky as buggery I have tried several things, its the
plastic that is reverting back to petroleum. I don't think its sweat
that has caused the problem.

I finally used some Wurth brake cleaner (on a rag) to remove the sticky
surface then silicon Mr Sheen. Seems to have stopped the sticky feel.

Thanks, any damage at all visible after that?

Did it still have the plasticised back, or bare metal, or whatever?